Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Short-term accommodation for Ukrainian war refugees

The Estonian state offers war refugees short-term accommodation and supports them in finding a long-term residence.

If a refugee arrives in Estonia and needs help or advice, they go to the nearest information point of the Social Insurance Board from the border (in Tallinn, Tartu, Pärnu, or Jõhvi). At the information point, the refugee's need for help is mapped, and the possibilities of staying in Estonia are explained to them. The information point will find out whether a person wants to apply for temporary protection in Estonia and needs short-term state accommodation. If they need the latter, they are directed to the nearest PBGB customer service and then to short-term accommodation provided by the state.

The Social Insurance Board can only offer refugees accommodation for which a tender has been conducted, and contracts have been signed.  There are such accommodations all over Estonia. Those wishing short-term accommodations will be introduced to the procedure for short-term accommodations, and it will be explained that the refugee must actively look for opportunities for self-sufficiency. It is also explained to the war refugees at the information point that while staying in short-term accommodation, they can be moved to another short-term accommodation if necessary. Contact persons of the Social Insurance Board who advise war refugees and help them achieve self-sufficiency in Estonia and work in the accommodation facilities. The frequency of meetings and the volume of activities depends on the family's ability to become independent (help in finding a job, receiving medical care, etc.). Contact persons visit the accommodations regularly, at least twice a week.

People who have found a job must find a permanent place of residence as soon as possible and move out of short-term accommodation in order to have free accommodation for those who need it more.

If the Social Insurance Board offers a refugee staying in short-term accommodation the opportunity to move on to a permanent residence and the person refuses, it is explained to them that the refusal entails the obligation to find a permanent residence for themselves within two months after which they must leave the short-term accommodation. 

Last updated: 20.03.2023

Was this page helpful??