- Filing the Application
- Documents Required for Calculating the Pension Amount
- What happens after you submit a pension application?
To receive a pension, you must first file an application. You can file the application during nine months:
- During six months preceding the pensionable age, or
- In three months after attaining the pensionable age.
In this case, you will receive pension starting from the attainment day. The attainment time for different pension types is available here (in Estonian).
You can file the pension application:
- At the customer service of the Social Insurance Board;
- By email (digitally signed);
- By regular mail.
At the customer service or by mail, present all documents required for calculating your pension amount. The list of required documents is available here.
The decision about your pension is made in 15 working days as at the forwarding of the last required document.
Together with the pension application, we expect you to present the following documents:
- Personal identification document (at the customer service for identification purposes);
- Employment record book or other documents certifying the years of pensionable service and/or working (archive notice, employment contract, written order, regulation, etc.);
- Diploma issued by the vocational training institution, secondary specialized training institution, or an establishment for higher education;
- Military card;
- Document certifying the childbirth, if the child was born outside Estonia;
- Document certifying the name change at marriage, if the marriage has been concluded outside Estonia;
If you have raised children, then
Application for a pension supplement for raising a child
Consent to waive pensionable service, retirement pension or pension supplement on favorable terms
- Number of the bank account where you want to receive the pension.
You can only present such documents that you actually have. For example, if you have never been in the military service, you are not expected to present the military card.
Please present original documents or their notarially certified copies. If some document is missing and it is hard to find, then consult with our customer service by e-mail, at email@example.com or via self-service of the Estonian National Social Insurance Board. We can send a query to an archive or institution that might have data proving your pensionable service. Queries from archives are for a fee. The fee depends on the price list of the specific archive and is paid by the applicant.
When you apply for a pension at the customer service of the Social Insurance Board, we ask you to bring your identity document. It could be your ID-card, driver’s licence, Estonian passport, diplomatic passport, seaman’s discharge book, foreigner’s passport, temporary travel document, refugee’s travel document, certificate of record of service on Estonian ships, return certificate, return permission. In the case of citizens of foreign countries, we shall make a registry query to check the presence and validity of their residence permit.
What happens after you submit a pension application?
The time of reviewing the pension application depends on whether the right to receive pension already exists and whether we have all the information for calculating the pension.
Please note that if you submit the pension application before the right to pension has been created (such as before reaching the retirement age), we can still make the decision when the right to pension exists.
Also, the size of your future pension can be calculated only then. The reason for this being that if you work until you retire, the social tax calculated on your wages also increases your pension.
- After we have collected all the correct documents, we will make the decision within 15 days as of the day when the right to pension was created.
- If it appears during the review of the documents that we need to make further inquiries from institutions or the archives, the decision-making may be postponed. In this case we will make the decision within 15 days as of receiving the last document necessary for granting the pension.
If necessary, we will contact you at the contact details indicated in the application. Further inquiries from the institutions where you have worked or from the archives will be made upon agreement with you. Please note also that a fee is charged for the inquiries from the archives. Read more here
When the decision has been made, we will send it to the e-mail address that you have provided. You may also collect the decision from our customer service.
We will send you the pension certificate by post within 10 working days after making the decision.
The first pension will be paid to you as soon as possible after making the decision. Hereinafter you will receive the pension on the 5th day of each month. If the day of the bank transfer falls on a public holiday or other holiday, the working day which immediately precedes the holiday shall be the payment day.
If you have questions about applying for pension and processing the application, contact the Estonian National Social Insurance Board
- by e-mail, at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- via self-service of the Estonian National Social Insurance Board;
- by post, at the following address: Paldiski mnt 80, Tallinn, 15092;
in person, at the customer service of the Estonian National Social Insurance Board.