Do you need an aid that would help you or your loved one better cope with everyday life? A technical aid is a product with the help of which it is possible to improve a person's physical and social independence, as well as their capacity for action and work ability.
Such technical aids are, for example, wheelchairs, hearing aids, diapers, prostheses, crutches, etc.
Technical aids can be purchased with a state discount.
Do you need a technical aid for your child?
We reimburse the technical aid
- For children up to 18 years of age who have been determined to have a disability
- For children up to 18 years of age who have not been determined a disability but have been issued a medical specialist's certificate about the need for a technical aid
- For 16-17-year-olds who have been determined as partially or completely unable to work
Are you of working age and need a technical aid?
We reimburse the technical aid to working-age people who have either
- Partial or absent work ability
- incapacity for work from 40%
- determined disability
Are you of retirement age and need a technical aid?
Getting an assistive device does not require you to have a disability or reduced work ability.
Do you need a breast prosthesis, an eye prosthesis, an upper or lower limb prosthesis or a prosthetic sleeve, a hearing aid, a sound transmission system or hair prostheses?
If you need these technical aids, you only need a doctor's certificate stating the need for a specific technical aid to get a benefit from the state.
From November 1, 2023, hair prostheses are included in the list of auxiliary products. Only dermatovenerologists have the right and competence to determine the need for them, who, when diagnosing a complete absence of hair, issue an appropriate certificate. Custom-made hair prostheses can be purchased for a period of four years and in quantities of two pieces at a government discount of 70%. To receive a state discount when purchasing an aid, you need to submit the request a special procedure.
Discount rates from the ceiling price of the technical aid
- In the case of children up to 18 years of age with disabilities or with partial or no work ability, the state compensates 90%
- For children up to 18 years of age whose disability has not been determined, the state compensates 50%
- The state discount is 90% for 18-26-year-olds with learning disabilities or those of working age with partial or no work ability
- The state discount for working-age and retirement-age persons with partial or no work ability is 40-90%, depending on the specific technical aid
- The state reimburses 95% to the recipient of the subsistence benefit
In order to receive a technical aid with a state discount, proceed as follows:
- A specialist or physician determines your need for a technical device and writes it down on a paper copy of the technical aid certificate. To determine the need, contact a family physician, general practitioner, resident physician, medical specialist, nurse, midwife, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, or speech therapist. The need for a medical aid may also be stated in the rehabilitation plan. Who can issue a certificate for a specific technical aid depends on the technical aid and can be found in the list of technical aids.
- Contact the technical aid company
It is possible to get a state discount only in companies that have signed a contract with the Social Insurance Board. A list of them can be found here: technical aid companies.
Don't forget to bring a paper certificate of the technical aid and an identity document.
If you are between 18 and 26 years old and studying abroad, bring a copy of your school certificate. If you have been appointed a guardian, bring a copy of the court order. If you are going to make a transaction for a person who needs a technical aid, in addition to your identity document, take a simple authorization with you so that you can make transactions on their behalf.
In justified cases, you can request a special procedure.
You can check the information about the purchase and rental transactions of your technical aids in the self-service of the board.
When purchasing a technical aid, your co-payment is always a minimum of 7 euros (except for the purchase of incontinence products and the rental of a technical aid). We calculate the technical aid discount from the ceiling price given in the list of technical aids.
The doctor has prescribed a wheelchair for you. In the company, it turns out that the determined ceiling rental price of the wheelchair suitable for you is 34.50 euros per month, and the state discount is 90%. The company's specialist will find a suitable wheelchair for you within the ceiling price at the cost of 27.80 euros per month. The state pays 90% of the cost of the technical aid for you, i.e., 25.02 euros, and your co-payment is 2.78 euros. Calculation procedure: 27.8-(27.8*0.9)=2.78 euros.
If the rental price of a wheelchair suitable for you is 45 euros per month (that is, the monthly rental price is higher than the established ceiling price of 34.5 euros), then the state will pay 90% of the ceiling price for you, i.e., 31.05 euros in total. The amount between the ceiling price and the cost of the technical aid must be paid by you. Therefore, your co-payment is 13.95 euros. In this case, you have the right to submit an application for increasing the ceiling price. Calculation procedure: 45-(34.5*0.9)=13.95 euros.
What is a special procedure?
In justified cases, you can request a special procedure. The application is submitted to the Social Insurance Board before the acquisition of the technical aid (i.e., if the transaction has already been made, you cannot apply for a special procedure).
You can request a special procedure in the following cases:
- To reduce the deductible. If your financial situation does not allow you to pay the deductible, the Social Insurance Board can reduce your deductible to a maximum of five percent. For this purpose, submit an application with justification.
- To acquire a new technical aid because the technical aid in use no longer meets your needs (for example, your hearing or vision has deteriorated; the technical aid has become small because the child has grown; the technical aid was destroyed as a result of an accident, etc.).
- You need a technical aid that is not included in the list of technical aids, but without this technical aid, you cannot cope on a daily basis.
- You need a technical aid for which there is a "special request" in the list of technical aids.
- You need a larger amount of technical aid than it is possible to get with a state discount. If you have a need to increase the amount of technical aids due to a diagnosis or functional disorder, you can request an increase in the amount. For example, a child needs to rent one standing desk for home and another for kindergarten or school.
- The cost of your technical aid is higher than the ceiling price from which the state discount is calculated. For example: The monthly ceiling price of a stroller is 145 euros, and the state discount is 90%. In the company, it turns out that the price of renting a suitable stroller per month is 160 euros (i.e., the cost exceeds the ceiling price). In this case, the state will pay 90% of 145 euros for you or a total of 130.50 euros. In this case, your deductible will be 29.50 euros per month. You have the right to submit a request to increase the ceiling price. If the ceiling price of the technical aid suitable for you is increased, the state will pay you 90% of 160 euros, i.e., 144 euros.
NB! We will increase the ceiling price if there are no suitable technical aids for you within the ceiling price.
- If you want to rent a technical aid that can only be bought or buy a technical aid that can only be rented, the Social Insurance Board can provide this if justified. But be sure to think about the differences between renting and buying. The rental price of the technical aid includes maintenance and repair if necessary. The company is obliged to carry out regular maintenance on the rented technical aid after a certain period of time. While the technical aid is under maintenance, you have the right to use a replacement product. If you rent a technical aid, it is possible to exchange it for a product that better meets your needs if your health condition changes.
Documents required to apply for a special procedure:
- A copy of the certificate of the technical aid, which states the required technical device. The necessary technical aid may also be specified in the rehabilitation plan. If the need for a technical aid is stated in the rehabilitation plan, it is not necessary to present it to us. On the certificate, you can add a more comprehensive assessment (or video) of the therapist on the suitability and necessity of the technical aid.
NB! When applying for a technical device that is not on the list, it is necessary to submit a certificate from a medical specialist, physiotherapist, or occupational therapist regarding the need for the technical aid.
- If you want the ceiling price of the technical aid to be increased; a technical aid that is not included in the list of technical aids; purchase of a rental, technical aid or rental of a purchased technical aid; a technical aid for which no ceiling price has been established in the list of technical aids, you must add two price offers on an equal basis from different companies.
NB! If only one company offers the technical aid suitable for you, you can add only one price offer to the application. Bring it out in the explanation in the application.
- If you are 18-26 years old and studying abroad, also include a copy of your school certificate.
- If you have been appointed a guardian, bring a copy of the court order.
- If you are someone else's representative, add the authorization.
Where to send the application?
- you can submit the request in our self-service
- send the documents to the e-mail address [email protected]
- post to the address Paldiski mnt 80, 15092 Tallinn
- it is also possible to fill out the application and submit the documents at the customer service of the Social Insurance Board.
How long does it take to make a decision?
The chief specialists will review the documents you submitted and, if necessary, contact you to clarify the details. If the necessary documents for the review of the application are available, the decision will be sent to you within 30 days at the latest.
How do I get the technical aid?
In case of a positive decision, contact the company of the technical aid and agree on the method of transaction and delivery of the technical aid. When contacting the company, take an identity document with you.
General questions about applying for a special procedure:
Last updated: 26.10.2023